Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Squares

Life is complicated. So much is going on- we're going to Hawaii next Tuesday (YAY!), Judah's birthday is this week, I'm working on several new projects at work, we have a flea problem at home, I've got acid reflux disease, I'm trying to eat healthier, I'm playing in a fun tournament at work for league of legends, my son is asking deep questions that show he is grappling with understanding the whys of life, our garage door is broken, our vacuum popped a hose, we have a new vet bill, I'm trying to play drums for my uncle's church but it's not helping anything, and about 30 more things. It stresses me out to no end when I Ping-Pong back and forth between various tasks, issues, problems, and trains of thought. The only way I find a semblance of serenity is when I structure things and approach them in a methodical way- this is why computers probably calm me, why I enjoy techno music, why I chart and graph my monthly budgets, and why I love looking at stat sheets on my favorite football team, my performance in my computer games, and so on.

I don't have solutions lined up for all of the above problems, but when I segment them out and come up with a plan, it relieves a lot of the related stress for them. Finances, for instance- I'm pretty much always stressed about finances in the 3rd and 4th week of the month, because I sit down and write out my bills, look at my income to operating cost, etc in week 1. So week 1 and 2 I feel stress-free about my finances. Ask my wife- she gets frustrated at me about two weeks every month regarding finances, because I will say we don't have money for this or that, even though the first two weeks we went out to eat twice and I bought some books and $40 worth of flea repellent gear. :) Probably not going to change a whole lot in the foreseeable future, besides the usual one month respite during bonus season where we buy all the things.

I need to work on plans for the things that are still stressing me out... I need to sit down and make decisions on the garage door, on playing drums at church, the vacuum, and so many other things. Maybe I can take some time while I'm in Hawaii and think about them while I'm more removed from the situation and thinking a little more clearly. Yeah, that sounds like a great idea- boom, just made a plan. :)

1 comment:

Rosemary Ochs said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one dealing with 30 things at once.