Monday, July 01, 2013

Hawaii...

Can't wait for Hawaii to get here. 23 days...

We had such a great time in Hawaii two years ago, we're basically just going to do the same thing again. I remember it was weird, without the kids- like, when I woke up, I didn't haveto immediately get up and clean, feed, or comfort something. You can actually just sit there without feeling guilty that there's a million things that need to be done.

Mostly, I feel like our lives are a little mundane lately. I guess we're just in a season of our lives where practicality reigns supreme, and we're just so busy running around doing errands and taking care of children that it's pretty hard to stop and smell the roses and write poetry about our lives or anything like that. I feel that way not just in my personal life, but also in my church life. So many times people talk about how God is leading them to do this or that, to not drink that milkshake, or to change your oil, or whatever- and part of me skeptically thinks these people are full of hot air, and the other part just acknowledges that I'm not at that kind of a place right now. Everything is in dollars and cents, or hours spent, and my only recourse is generally just to do something physically fun and entertaining.

I took Rosemary to the track last weekend, and that was a blast. I went with Papa John and the kids to a BMW E30 picnic yesterday, also quite fun. I feel like I'm just hopping through life trying to do enough fun things so I don't check out and just go all Lando Carlissian's aide LOBOT. That might sound unfair to my wonderful wife and kids, but I know Rosemary is going through just about the same thing as well. I just find my fun in really fleshly entertainment like video games and driving fast and working on things.

I'm sure one day I'll have the time and energy to really dive back into a more philosophical & thoughtful style of living... but until then, I guess I'll keep just trying to make sure my kids are fed, changed, and learning, while getting as many reasonable breaks as I can.

No comments: