Monday, October 26, 2009

Not a whole lot of interest in the house this week, unfortunately.  It's getting to me a little bit, since if we don't sell, we'll probably be in our current place for at least another year or two.  It's a fine house, I just want more space and a big garage and a yard is all.  Oh well, at least that path is more affordable.

Over the weekend we had a fairly fun Xbox lan party at Rosemary's parents house, for Daniel's birthday.  We played some Rainbow Six terrorist hunt and halo 3 mostly, with a bit of Forza and call of duty 4.  We ended up with about 10 different people showing up at different times, and unfortunately the biggest hinderance was that most games only let you play one person per TV besides halo.  It made us play halo a bit more than Daniel probably would have liked, but we did have some really really fun games of terrorist hunt.  After about 8pm, it started devolving quite a bit and people were just losing their patience and trying to rampage through the game and dying constantly, but it was still fun.  I probably would have done things a little differently now that it's over and I've learned a few things-

  • monitors don't work too well, since they don't have speakers
  • I don't need to bring 4 controllers and 6 batteries
  • I don't need to bring three sets of cables
  • we need a better network infrastructure at whatever house we use. The 2 dollar router was really screwing with our ability to download new maps and get online.  If that was reliable, we could have done everyone in the room online in a huge 8 on 8 halo battle vs people online, or big call of duty online games. oh well.
  • we could simplify things if we had more xboxes with basic one TV one controller setups to get bigger games going.  Could have production lined it with TV trays and cabling in a row or something, would have enhanced the cooperative feeling that makes lan parties so great.

That said, we know a few things now so we could do lan parties easier in the future, less TV hauling and rewiring and less preparation.  If I had a house, I could do it even easier. :)

The whole thing makes me a little melancholy just because we used to have lan parties every other weekend.  It was a huge thing, since it sort of got nerds out of their house, forced them to interact with other humans, and still have fun and work together.  We of course still struggle with the one guy that's always "I don't like that gametype, I won't play it." that ruins some of the fun. heh.  It's a lot easier with xboxes than with PCs, that's for sure, and you don't need a $1,000 gaming rig- an xbox is a couple hundred bucks, and are becoming more standard in homes.

There are a couple of games that I'm sure will cause possible mini lan parties coming up here soon.  The next call of duty game is here in a few weeks, and the next Forza game is here tomorrow.  I'm sure Daniel will talk me into bringing my xbox over so we can do some 2 player online forza stuff, and I'm sure I'll invite someone over to do some call of duty co-op stuff.  It's enjoyable, since I haven't had a serious hobby for this year (which is rather surprising!)

No comments: