Monday, August 10, 2009

I had a wonderful birthday.

We went out to Chantanee Noodle in Bellevue, and invited a bunch of friends & family. About 13 people showed up, and we had a wonderful time. The good food didn't hurt, the conversation was good, and I got a few cool things. It was a wonderful birthday.

Birthdays have really transformed over the years for me. When you are 18 or younger, you look forward to balloons, colorful toys, and so on- but after maybe 21, birthdays are really marginalized in the grown up world. It's a little off-putting, because you remember these really fun celebrations where everyone focuses on *you* in a human I'm selfish sort of way, but you grow up, the parties go away, the balloons go away, and people move on. Man, shouldn't we celebrate them MORE because, hey, look, we're still ALIVE!!? :)

I got a few things I'm excited about:

  • Several Philip K. Dick novels and short stories. I've been interested in some of the older, original sci-fi works from the 60s when the sci-fi revolution started. Philip K. Dick is the author of some of the great ones that really started a lot more of the philosophical side of Sci-Fi, such as: paycheck, minority report, iRobot (do androids dream of electric sheep?) bladerunner, Total Recall, and others. The movie adaptations add a litle more action and take out some of the more thoughtful futuristic society pieces, but are still good movies in my opinion.
  • A car care kit from Griots Garage. It's just a little travel sized guy, but I love Griot's products.
  • A gift card to Guitar Center to pick up a Cajon (box drum). I really want a box drum to keep exploring different percussion instruments I can play in sort of an acoustic unplugged sort of way, as that is how we've been playing at young adults. Most people would consider the cajon a better option than a djembe for the rock style stuff I play anyways, but I've got a lot more experience with the djembe and was able to make that work pretty well. Unfortunately, my extensive djembe experience is leaving behind some more of my basic percussion stuff that I need to focus on to make sure I'm still a well rounded musician. I need to focus some more on right left balance, triplets, and integrating some more rythms into my repertoire.

I'm looking forward to shopping for one. Unfortunately my local guitar center doesn't have hardly any cajons, just a standard pearl model, so I'll haveto visit a few other guitar centers around the area to see if any of them have a Meinl in stock.

4 comments:

Kat said...

It was a great dinner! Happy reading.

Rosemary Ochs said...

I told you not to sell that drumset...

Love you.

Ricky said...

you're right. you did. and I miss it terribly. And I didn't get the money from it until a year and a half later, and only in small chunks that I couldn't save easily. ugh.

But we bought a good Meinl box drum last night. I played with it for 10 minutes before I drove to work... so much fun. it sounds pretty good.

amy said...

I thought you were a lot older than 24 for some reason! I guess you WERE only a year ahead of me in school...