Monday, June 08, 2009

I changed the title of the blog. I want to sort of re-focus some of my extraneous thought life back on a theme I used to carry around with me all day: being different.

I walked through life being extremely different. My parents continuously told me I was different, and I took it to heart and really tried to be different. I tried to accomplish everything I went after with high levels of excellence, and to be wise in the things I encountered. This really stemmed out of my passion for technology, and passion for righteousness. The early years of my life were filled with taking apart computers, writing short stories, designing computer labs, reading countless books, and worshipping God in as many ways as I could- serving on the media team, worshipping with my drumset on the youth group, getting into the top band in school and travelling to California to compete in a world wide music competition. Getting a 98 score on a level five chinese composition, and so on. This was my source of pride: having to show for my life what most people are learning in college in preparation for the job market. I knew I was different, I knew I could accomplish anything I set my mind to. Mixed in with this was tons of fun with some intense strategy games, and I LOVED outsmarting people with pure tactics. I just loved living in my world of different. One of the major challenges, and also one of my sources of pride, was my age. It hurt me a lot because I couldn't do some things I needed to, it hurt my business because a lot of potential customers didn't think I had the ability to build out computer solutions for them, and so on. But I did learn something valuable: The more you capitalize on your young age, the more successful you will be.

So, how does this translate to today?

It's not quite as easy to seperate yourself from the crowd when you're older. Everyone has jobs, skillsets, ages aren't quite as big of a deal, and so on. A lot of life is hidden, not everyone knows what you do when you're at "home."

Here's how I am trying to seperate myself from the crowd.
I am serving in the church. I am on the leadership team for Young Adults, and I am serious about trying to impact my generation positively. From teaching them how to manage finances, to being part of that group interested in discipleship and being Christ Like.
Tithing. I recently learned that only 3-5 percent of Christians (real christians, not the whacko "80% of Americans are Christian" set) actually tithe. On top of this, I commit to giving above and beyond of my money. This will help my discipline with regards to my money- Rosemary made this great point, that we all need to remember: It's not your money. I want to keep that in mind. That will help combat what happens in the previous post, where us Americans are inundated with things we want to purchase.
Being successful in the business world. I work at one of the biggest software companies at Microsoft. I will excel here, because I decide to. Just because the people before me need to work 80 hours a week here to excel, does not mean I need to. I will carve my own way, and I don't need to follow any templates to get there. I will be excellent because God created me to be that way, and I will be humble and I will work hard to get to where God has put me in my future.
I will be the best Father I can possibly be. I will raise my child to be a hard working, sensitive, wonderful person, who has the tenacity and will to go after what he wants, while still knowing how to have fun and enjoy life. I will do whatever it takes to be that Father that God is to me.
I will be the best husband I can. I have made a life long commitment to my wife, to be there for her and meet her needs. I will continuously work on being a better husband, and humbling myself and serving my wife in every way I can. It is the most important contract I have ever signed in my life, and I will treat it with the honor and dignity that it deserves- and more, to be an example to this world that marriage does succeed, and is the best option, and it takes hard work and is more rewarding than people can imagine.

These items are in order of priority, lowest to highest.

Help me be that difference. Encourage me, help me. Correct me.

2 comments:

Rosemary Ochs said...

This was a great post to read, and I like your new blog name.

First of all, when did you take Chinese?!

Secondly, another thing you should have on your list is living debt free. Even though we aren't completely there at the moment, you work towards that goal daily. I do believe that you are different. That's why I married you instead of moving in with some loser in hopes to be loved unconditionally and then getting knocked up, and then getting dumped and getting trapped in tons of credit card debt and living with barely enough means to raise my illegitimate child.

Yea, I just skipped all that and married you. Gosh, I missed out on so much of life. *sarcasm*

I love you, and I look forward to walking the road less travelled with you.

Kat said...

I am so very proud of you. There's nothing more wonderful and emotionally fulfilling than having your children walking with God. Even more so when they're really engaged in actively walking the path God has called them to.

You have blessed me with your life.