Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Whoa...

Half of my team was just let go. Layoffs struck Microsoft again, to the tune of 3,000 employees. That was part of the 5,000 number originally reported six months ago or so, when 1,400 were laid off. So we can expect about another 600 to go.

It's pretty hard to describe how I feel and what the new landscape here in my group is like. When I walked down to my cube this morning, the rows were mostly empty... just empty spaces, where warm bodies used to be, drinking coffee, listening to music, getting loads of work done. I'm not sure how we're going to be able to absorb that work. We will probably haveto change how we work and what we can do, mixed with a bit of work overload for a while to trim down our deliverables.

Natural wisdom would say I got lucky that I was spared, because the people that were let go seemed to be at random in our team. Kingdom wisdom would tell me otherwise, though. God's got some plans for me at this company. There really isn't anything that seperates me from the guys that got the axe, and it was a pretty humbling moment (obviously moreso for those now at home today). They just got called into an office, told their badge would stop working at 4pm, probably signed a severance agreement, and sent their goodbye mails. That's that...

some really great coworkers and friends are now gone. I don't know what the future holds, but I do have a 1 on 1 meeting with my boss later today, so I'll probably hear about more later today.

No comments: