Thursday, April 23, 2009

So, over the last few days, I've been able to attend windows 7/Windows 2008 R2 training. This is basically the next set of software for server and client computers. Overall, the training was great.

The keynote was given by a couple of VPs of windows, and it was incredible to hear them talk about the decisions they'd made about certain feature sets or timelines, because it really gave great insight into a lot of the reasons why people hate windows, or vista in particular.

You often see, and/or hear people bashing Vista or windows, and after hearing the pure genius of the windows guys, it just makes the bashers sound completely ignorant. A lot of the thought process that went into Vista was explained, as well as the direction moving forward. I feel like this was a once in a lifetime opportunity, to hear behind closed doors, from the guys that are in charge of the world's most popular piece of software. There were about 120 IT Professionals from around the world attending this training, and it was mostly on features of the new versions of windows that are still not public yet, so I can't say much about those features, but I've gotta say. Win7 will blow the door wide open for innovation, and what an operating system should do.

All of the training makes me want to get back into true IT engineering. DNS, architecture, AD, and so on. It was so envigorating seeing the new iterations of these solutions and how they work- so very interesting, because the world runs on these technologies, and this is the team that is literally changing the way the world works.

We also got to visit the new commons area up at the new campus. Oh man... what a beautiful place. Water fountains, restaurants, stores, a hair salon, a bar, a soccer field, and so much more. It reminds me that I work for one of the greatest companies. Just not at one of the greatest companies. Yet another reason why it sounds so good to work for a product team. I would feel so inspired if I worked on interesting cool IT technology that changes the world. Some truly genius people in those groups. It reminds me of my teaching days, when I could get up in front of a class and talk about subnetting for an hour off the top of my head. It takes a person truly passionate about technology to get that into something, and I'm kind of craving being an expert on something like that again. Too bad there's no budget for training materials, and the books cost 70 a pop for the '08 server stuff. ugh.

No comments: