Monday, September 22, 2008

so, I know I should post, but I'm not sure what about. It's just been a long time, and a lot has happened, but nothing really comes to mind- usually I've got something specific to talk about, like a car, a paintball event, a relationship, etc... but not this time.

So, my son is now 9 weeks (today) and he slept for 9 1/2 hours last night. He was pretty darn fussy last night, which is hard to deal with when they are unconsolable, but it's an amazing joy when he is in a great mood- he smiles at everything, and it's one of the greatest things to see your son recognize you and smile at you when you come home from work. You can see the excitement in his eyes and face when he sees me after a day of being away, and it's awesome. :)

I think we have tentatively decided we want to buy a house in a couple of years, before we have our second kid. Having two kids in our current place would just be a little too dicey, since there's only two bedrooms. The square footage isn't the problem, it's just the bedroom situation. Another deciding factor is having a yard for the kids to play in. Kids just need a yard. Another factor is definitely the fact that I want a two car garage. Our parking situation has limited me to only one car (two total fo the whole family) and I've always wanted a daily driver/fun commuter car. I just love the idea of driving around an old Honda or a little miata, fun little sporty car that gets 30+ mpg easily, even when you drive it like you're on crack. I had one for a while, a beautiful 89 prelude SI, bought for a grand under value, and then I put a grand into it fixing it up, and it ran BEAUTIFULLY. It was very, very fast, it cornered like it was on rails, even with cheap tires, and it was super reliable.

Most days, I get in my subie, and I just don't drive it like it should be driven. I mean, I commute in stop and go freeway traffic a couple of hours a day. How can I use an AWD rally inspired car in those situations? To even have fun with the thing, you've got to be doing triple the speed limit. It's got so much traction and power, that I can't really stretch it's legs. On the other hand, when I had that little prelude, I could break the front tires loose on almost any turn, slide through the turn, and whip that wheel around, all while only going 20 mph. If I tried that in the scoob, I'd be doing 60, I'd have all 4 loose, and I'd be sliding across three lanes of traffic.

I've kind of started wanting that little scooter of a car in rear wheel drive lately, just to get used to it. I know how to break the wheels loose around a turn in front wheel drive easily. But in the future, I wouldn't be surprised if I had some sort of high performance rear wheel drive car, and it'd be pretty messy if I had no experience in a RWD car, to get into an M3 or something. That's why I mentioned a little miata. Something that is light and maneuverable, but you can still dump the clutch and get those wheels spinnin. :)

In other news... I've picked up playing the piano. The keyboard, more like... I just started a couple of days ago, and I've got all the major chords down already. I just studied some chord theory, and figured out how to create chords based off of theory and went from there. What inspired me was this

It made me remember how much fun it was just to mess around with the keyboard when I was younger. I'd sit there for hours and hours, playing with different sounds and rythms. The guy is a litte different, but he's an absolutely amazing artist. Definitely my style of music, too. I'm kind of hoping that having a keyboard in the house will tug at Rosemary's interest and that she'll pick up some, too, because she has had some lessons (more than I can say).

That's all for now, folks. We'll see if my facebook link brings any more readers, heh.

2 comments:

Kat said...

I've always referred to those small cars as ones that you can "whip around in". You know just buzz from here to there w/ a little spunk.

Rosemary Ochs said...

I did play the piano a little today...

But I had to stop because Cami is too annoying.