Tuesday, April 08, 2008

So, I played set, with a group, in front of a group of people, for the first time in many, many years. I sold my drumset almost two years ago now, and I haven't practiced/played for a couple years before that.

it was pretty cool, actually. I didn't do an amazing job or anything, not that I expected to, but I actually held an alright rythm setup for all the songs. Only a couple of laugh out loud mistakes :) It reminds me of when I used to play for the youth group all those years ago... except I used to play every single day back then. Much easier to have control over the rythm and tempo of a group when you're well practiced. I've been playing Djembe for the last 2-3 years, for sunday morning and young adults, a couple times a week, and I've gotten so comfortable on it I really feel like I control the rythm and the group's dynamics a lot more. But on set, I feel like I'm just giving them a steady beat to play to. hehe. That'll change with practice of course.

Ricky

1 comment:

Rosemary Ochs said...

You've been doing great. It'll only get better. Plus, in a few more years, I can help you out with piano, and you can start showing Judah a thing or two. :)

Love you!