Thursday, March 27, 2008

so I've got a boy on the way...

I think it's going to be one of the funnest things in my life.

I have images of playing legos with him, teaching him how to build things, eventually teaching him how to build models, how to build an RC car, how to shoot... man, I just see such a fun time. :)

You know, a son gets his affirmation from his father. A son's entire world revolves around the two most important relationships he has- mommy and daddy. I believe a big part of why the world is the way it is today, is because there are fathers out there that don't understand the relationship between a father and a son. The encouragement that needs to happen, the teaching of values, the bond created. A son gets his moral compass from his father, his financial understanding, his respect for women, his understanding of what Godliness really is.

I have memories of my Dad taking me aside and talking about finances with me. When I wanted something really bad, he would talk to me about saving up my money to purchase it. He also taught me how loans worked, by helping me purchase things I really desired, but carrying a loan with me, teaching me about monthly payments, how my $20 a month payment was due on the 1st of every month, and how normally people charge interest, and what that means. It taught me a ton about being responsible with money, what it's like to have debt, to be responsible to pay it off or pay consequences, etc.

You hear stories about guys that just do crazy things- with women, with guns, with money, and it's basically because they just didn't know how to do it right. Their learnings in those areas were self taught and perverse, instead of being taught by a father with those values intact. The love of the father leads us and guides us, and this is a small experience of that. I can't wait to raise my kid in the most godly way possible, to see him learn and grow, make mistakes and pick himself back up, because it's what you do when you fall.

I feel like I know what it's like to have a dad, and also to not have a dad. There was a time where there was a pretty big hole there... and the difference was huge. I understand where I would be if that hole had continued on to this day. I would not be married, I would not be going to church. I would be depressed, I would be emotionally closed down. I probably wouldn't be employed by a great company, I would probably be living in an appartment somewhere with a girlfriend. Funny, how that sounds like the vast majority of people my age. The only difference? A dad.

A mom, is a whole different conversation. :) Maybe you'll haveto read Rosie's blog to see if she's got anything to say about the mom dynamic- she's had interesting experiences there. I just know that, being a dad is making me focus on my experiences with dad's. Mostly mine. Mom, don't feel left out. :)

2 comments:

Kat said...

I don't feel left out!

Ricky said...

Good. :)