Friday, August 17, 2007

So...

An old friend of mine got saved. Someone I had given up pretty much all hope in. I used to pray for him for a few years, and try and mentor him and help him be successful in every way I could. He was in my MCP class, and he was one of the smartest people. For years we had this love/hate relationship where he would cuss me out and hate on me, and then we'd have a lan party together the next day. I always tried to forgive him for everything he did, just so I could continue to try and help him out/be his friend. It all gets very complicated and stupid, as in high school drama/cliche ish, with the group of friends we were "in" or whatever, mostly with all of them not wanting me around, but at the same time, wanting me around. :/

It all kind of ended when I graduated, and I got my job at MS. I kind of had a new life then. Volunteering at Church dozens of hours a week, etc, (all talked about in my blog at that time) so I just kind of moved on from such a horrible relationship/dynamic. I hated getting cussed out and treated piss-poor all the time, and after years of trying, I came to the conclusion that there was no way I could ever change any of them. And I lost my best friend in the process of it all, too.

Fast forward to today, and out of the blue I get a message from this guy. I was still friendly toward him, I don't really know why, we didn't leave on the best of terms and/or really like eachother at all, but I always felt I needed to be respectful and treat him well regardless. Well, good thing I did, and good thing I felt that way. He messaged me to tell me he was going to church. I didn't want to push the entire church thing on him, for fear of scaring him away (new believers often stumble when overbearing people push rule after rule on people) so I left it at that and we talked about other stuff, just kind of catching up. Well, we hung out, had dinner, and I was pretty amazed at how much he'd matured. He'd gotten a decent job, gotten out of some of his nastier habbits, and moved on. I didn't think he could get out of this rut, but it looks like God had more faith in him than I did. I guess I'm human too. :)

So, we got him a bible, with his name on it. Rosemary was awesome and went after work to the christian supply store two days in a row and got a nice NLT bible for him. After a few days of getting re-acqainted and everything, I slowly started talking about more Christianity related things. I am trying to message the idea that it's all about love and peace, hope, kindness, etc. because so many people these days think Christianity is just a set of rules you haveto follow or you go to hell. So far off from the truth. :( And last night in the bible, Rosie and I read that new believers are the easiest to stumble from false teaching. And of course they don't know any better. I cried last night as I was praying over this guy. We told him to read Romans first, and handed him the bible. Then him and I hung out some more and had a great conversation and opened up to eachother a bit. As I was praying and thanking God for seeing fruit of seed I had sown so many years ago, (And lots of other people's seed too) and praying for his protection in Christ and his new budding relationship, I got a call from him, asking "which book of the bible did you want me to read first again?" After I answered and said goodbye, I laughed at such an amazing thing. I wouldn't really expect most people to want to dive into the bible like that, nor the idea that he forgot the book and needed to call me, in middle of my prayer for him.

God is pretty amazing, and I'm so humbled and in awe over his ultimate plan for us all. He really is in control. The last few weeks, we've been praying for God to use us in every way possible, and I love it when he answers prayer like this. There is no gift greater than that of life, the one Jesus gave us on the cross, and to see a friend realize that and take it, is probably one of the most precious things in the world.

Ricky

No comments: