Tuesday, October 03, 2006

So, I was about to post the definition of marriage on my blog, to show that it talked about lifelong commitment to just one person. I was thinking, how slick of me to prove a point that is so lost on this world these days.

Then, as my devious fingers finish typing in the word over at http://www.dictionary.com and the definitions come up, my smile fell, and a scowl of Mandy-like proportions came over my face.

Yes, the world has influenced the definitions of marriage, even in the good old Mirriam Webster dictionary. Nowhere could it be found that marriage is a *lifelong* commitment. And in fact, it even referenced divorce in the very definition of marriage.

I don't know whether this proves my point more, or less, to be honest.

You see, getting married in the new millenia is hard to do. I thought out a family tree to myself, and there were only two couples that had not been touched by divorce- my parents, and my grandparents on my father's side.

It is no easy task to be an honorable person these days. With moral relativity such a common thread among society, even in christian circles, anyone can find any reason to divorce at any time. This circumvents the entire reason to get married. In fact, a lot of really smart non-christian people are just not getting married, for fear of becoming yet another statistic of divorce. Rightfully so in my opinion- if you are worried about getting divorced, DON'T GET MARRIED! pretty simple, really.

So, in an effort to return some semblance of meaning to the idea of Marriage in my life, I have been having some interesting conversations lately. Conversations with atheists, conversations with my Fiance, conversations with moderate christians. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the entire idea of marriage in our world is so far gone, so far corrupt, that it is near worthless.

I'm glad I'm not a part of the world, then. Whew. I'll follow this up with another post. Because people complain when my posts are too long. :)

No comments: