Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Alright, so, continuing on from the last post here.

The meaning of marriage.

Well, its pretty much to devote your life to one person faithfully in all areas until you die. Pretty much every set of marriage vows I've looked over pretty adequetly explain all of this. I wonder how people can talk themselves into saying those words and then somehow, someway, convince themselves they really meant nothing or were somehow invalidated. Okay, for example, here are some vows (probably not the ones I will use, but for example sake go with me here!):

I Bride take you Husband
To be my wedded husband.
I promise to share with you
In good times and in bad.
my love and my life.
I will love and comfort you,
Honor and respect you.
With you I will share
all my life has to offer:
My hopes, my dreams,
My achievements and disappointments
From this day forward,
Until death do us part.

I Groom take you Bride
To be my wedded wife..
I promise to share with you
In good times and in bad.
my love and my life.
I will love, protect and comfort you,
Honor and respect you.
With you I will share
all my life has to offer:
My hopes, my dreams,
My achievements and disappointments
From this day forward,
Until death do us part.


Okay. So, anywhere in there, do you see the words "Unless?"
Or do you see the word "sometimes?"
Or maybe, "When you feel like it" or "When strength allows"

Nope.

It says til death do us part. No other reason could possibly part you two. At all. Now that, to me, is marriage. People can tell me time and time again that they divorced for this reason, or that reason, and yes it makes valid sense, but you know what? They broke their promise. They sinned,(Romans 7:2- "by law a married woman is bound to her husband as long as he is alive, but if her husband dies, she is released from the law of marriage.") according to the word of God that commands us not to divorce, and they went back on the second most important promise in their life. The first being, of course, choosing to follow God, if such a decision did occur in their life.

So how does one actually make that commitment that so many hundreds of millions have made, and broke, and re-insert meaning into it? Not easily, I assure you. Just like the words "I love you" in a Jr. High School, the word "Marriage" has really just turned into a giddy starry-eyed affectionate word, instead of carrying with it the power and sanctification that God created it for in the very beginning of mankind.

I was created for greatness by God himself, and I was not created for divorce. God never intended for humans to have divorce, and I will never let it mar the marrow of my bones or the flesh of my heart. Thats the commitment I will be making on January 27th to Rosemary, and we're thinking about having a really small, private ceremony, to have our own covenant of marriage with God that we can keep in the holiest part of our hearts, where marriage should have never left in the hearts of all humans.

1 comment:

John said...

that was beautiful, I too feel the same way. My motivation however is probably the result of my own parents divorce. I got to see first hand, the effects on the the kids.(me being one of them)I have been married twice in my life, my first wife died from breast cancer. She was the love of my life, but we did have our rocky times. (aside from cancer) I always have been, and always will be a "one woman man". That's just me, I will do everything in my power, and with God's help to make things work out.
After her death, I thought I'd never love again, WOW was I wrong! God met my needs in a way that I could never have dreamed about. We are a "matched set", and I am looking forward to growing old with her.