Thursday, July 14, 2005

So,

I've been having some trouble with my computer lately. I played the battlefield 2 demo, thought it was worth picking up, so I went out and bought it. I get home, try to install it... and nothing. The installshield doesnt even pop up.

So I work with EA tech support for a few days, and every time I reply to one of their e-mails a different person gets it and responds again with the same generic copy-paste respose, "clean the disc, download the latest drivers, dont be an idiot" instructions.

Well, since they are no help at all, I figured the root cause out myself... It seems installshield is having issues on my machine for one reason or other. Which is strange, it doesnt have issues when I install any other game, including the BF2 demo. Error 6005. Make sure no other programs are running, make sure your temp folder is clean... ok ok, did that. still doesnt work. Hmm.

So, I'm like, screw it. I told myself I'd build a new computer this summer anyway, and I think I can scrape together the money from savings to do it. So I order just a couple of parts, thinking I'll piecemeal it together. Motherboard, RAM, and processor. I've got the rest, right? Hard drive, vid card, etc etc. So I get the new stuff, start putting it together and...

I bought the new SLI motherboard. Meaning I can run two video cards at once for twice the speed, using PCI Express. Well, I figure I'll just upgrade to PCIe cards later and do the dual thing when I can come up with that kind of cash. I'll just use my nvidia 5900 vid card for now. Well, I'm dumb. The new mobo doesnt have an AGP slot, just the PCIe and PCI slots.

Now what?

Well, I suppose I'll haveto put this little project on hold for a bit until I can afford a new video card. Now the question is, do I buy a cheaper one to hold me over for a little bit of time until I can get a dual setup or single fast one, or do I spring for the more expensive one now?
bleh. I dunno.

But, one cool thing is, I'll be running Windows 64 bit. I'm getting it from work, and I hear it runs things a lot faster because of the 64 bit memory addressing. No RAM nightmares for this generation of games, which usually eats ram for breakfast.

Any ideas? I know a few tech people read my blog- gimme some input.

thx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should get a 6600GT with 256 megs of RAM, they are about 150 bucks on zipzoom... And then later pick up another one. Then you'd have a half gig of video ram, and its scalable. You wouldn't have resale value, but you'd have pretty good performance for the next two years. The CPU speeds would be lower, but you'd have enough ram for high texture quality in anything you play.