Wednesday, October 06, 2004

My life has been a giant training time for this exact moment.
This is the moment of truth.
And I passed.
I now have a job at Microsoft.
This means hardly anything to most of you, and a lot to a few of you- but if you really know me, I have been pulling for a job like this for the past ten years of my life. Ever since I touched a computer first I was good with them, it was always just natural. I have always worked hard at my dreams in this industry, and finally it has paid off. I mean, more than work hard- I went above and beyond, obtaining my MCP certification when I was 16, building my first computer when I was 10, taking one apart when I was 8, getting into the extremely deep art of hardware, so deep that I would talk about how the microns flow across the surface of a silicon wafer. After years of teaching and working and striving, here I am.
I never thought it would happen. I've had tens of evangelists tell me that I would make it one day, but I always brushed them off as small talk encouragement. Well, they were right.

The only reason I ever got this job was because of God. If you don't believe that, okay, but you really do haveto understand the circumstances. My resume went through five or six different people before it was even truly looked at. Every single one of those people had a certain issue or problem that needed resolving before they would pass it on.
This all happened in a matter of DAYS. This is UNHEARD OF for Microsoft Vendors. It usually takes months of job searching and applying and working with your contractor headhunter before anything yeilds. With this, God's hand was on it from day one, and it all just happened. Getting into Microsoft is one of the hardest businesses to get into, and thats an actual documented fact, by Forbes magazine I think. And I did it.
Not to be egotistical, because it was God who did it- he created me. But it happened, and I feel like my life MEANS something now. I've always had depression issues with that, and I probably always will- but this is a step in the right direction. With this I will have the resources to do God's will and not be restricted by things like money.

This job is the only job discription in the software development community that I could even get. Its the only one I am qualified for. And I got it. And only one of these positions comes up every year or so. Lucky? No, God.

This is Ricky Ochs, working for Zero Chaos, a Microsoft vendor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

don't forget to give 10% to the Lord......

Anonymous said...

Jeez, that post was so motivational it almost made me cry :/. *scan over to journal* "Who wants to carve pumpkins?!" heh heh..